Monday, July 26, 2010

Beginning

The title may be confusing. I wouldn't consider myself the black sheep of the family by any means. I get along well, and I feel like I fit in with everyone. I do feel like I gave up on my potential some time ago. When I was in high school, I saw myself getting my bachelor's in 4 years or less, moving on to a master's, and starting a teaching career before I was 30. I'm 24 now, and the most I could claim would maybe be an associate's, if I looked through my course credits and actually did something with them.

Let's start again.

I'm 24 years old, and I'm lost. I'm one of four kids (older middle), and I basically grew up in Cary, NC. Military bases before age 7 have almost faded from memory; this is my hometown. My older sister is an English teacher in South Korea (kindergarten at a private school, from what I understand). My younger brothers are a soldier and a marine, in order. The soldier just got to Afghanistan within the last few days, and the marine will be a fully-fledged Korean linguist this fall. My mother is incredible. I tell everyone I know that I pretty much have the coolest mom ever. She's a nurse practitioner (Go, Mom!) for the VA, and she constantly makes me want better for myself. I like to say that I sprang fully-formed from my mother's forehead; that's probably all you'll ever hear on the subject of the other parent. Or not. We are the sum of our parents, I suppose. I'm engaged to the most wonderful fellow, and we have two cats and a dog together. I see friends frequently. I work in retail, twice over. I work at a grocery store once a week, or so, and at a drug store full time.

I have a fabulous extended family. On my mom's side, I have my grandparents, 3 aunts, an uncle, and 8 cousins. That doesn't even start on spouses and the further-extended relatives. On the other, I have an aunt and uncle and two cousins, but I haven't seen/heard from them since I was little. They are all wonderful, and I learn things every time I so much as think of them.

I started this because I miss writing, and everyone else seems to have a blog. I think it'll help me get things out of my head and exercise my brain. I think I'm not as smart now as I was 5 years ago. I've lost my mental sharpness, and a lot of the knowledge I had.

Bam.

2 comments:

Suzy said...

I'm glad you're writing! Though I wouldn't have called your blog underachieving sheep - perhaps, achieving to the beat of her own drummer sheep. Or Kate could be sheep in the big city, and you could be sheep in the 'burbs?

Unknown said...

I'm in the 'burbs, too, Mom!