Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Clumsiness is genetic.

I have a long-standing disagreement with my right ankle. In the last couple of years, my left ankle has joined the fight. I don't think it needs to be said, but it's joined the right, not me. At this stage, at least once a week I have a minor sprain. I fell twice, ten minutes ago, while I was walking the dog. Once for each ankle. Well, not exactly. The left one was more of the foot twisting, not the ankle. The right was a full-on roll. Ouch. I need a hot pack.

This goes back to when I was 14 (-ish? I think). I was walking our two dogs, each around 70 lbs or so, down the deck stairs, and something happened, and I fell down the stairs. It was my first real sprain, and holy crap. My fabulous sister got me ice packs, and was very sweet to me, and I used crutches for a little while. Some weeks later, I was walking to strengthen the joint (and because you should walk, it's good for you, and because Mom said to), and I fell about halfway through my walk. I had to walk all the way back, on a re-sprained ankle. It's just been downhill from there.

Several years ago, I had what's called a Brostrom procedure to reattach the ligaments, which I had torn. From what I remember of his explanation, the orthopedist said I had completely severed one ligament, and I had smallish tears on others. It was a painful couple of months, but I made a decent recovery.....mostly. It's much stronger now. Before the surgery, I'd fall constantly, and it hurt, and I couldn't not limp. You shouldn't limp, it worsens your gait, but I just couldn't walk normally. In the best phase post-op, I had significantly less pain, and I was barely falling at all. Maybe one bad one every few months or so. I never have no pain in this ankle, but it's a dull ache most of the time.

The last six months or so, it's just gotten so much worse. Falling so frequently. I've even had to dig out my old braces, steal wraps from Ben (his injuries are a different story...he's a mechanic who has had a car fall on him, soooooo that's what that's about).

Waaaaaah.

This hot pack's pretty nice, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why you need metal legs, silly!
Also, the word verification to leave this comment is "whoties"... hahaha i'm going to try and use that in a sentence.
--amanda

Suzy said...

clumsiness may be genetic or it may be learned - perhaps you 4 just watched me trip and drop and bump and spill and then just followed right along behind me.
btw, I sprained my ankle Monday pretty awfully, then twisted it again today. You're welcome.